Why you need to goof off!
By Wayne Mates
After a couple hours of working at resolving some tricky business problems, I ran into a mental roadblock. My brain refused to do its usual work of looking at a problem from several angles, assessing information and coming to a conclusion. Reaching that point I decided to stop working. Just shut it down and do anything else.
As I cleared my mind of the clutter, I aimlessly wandered around the house, flipped on the TV and scanned through several channels. I sat back in my chair and relaxed. I started to think about what I would write in my post this week. Determining what topic to choose, I hit the bane of writers – writer’s block. My brain seemed to weave through any number of things – chores to be completed, people I needed to call, but no ideas on a topic for the post.
So what happened? As my mind was unwinding from the days stress and numerous decisions made, it began to solve some of the earlier problems I was unable to resolve. Suddenly, potential solutions were abundant. I jotted down notes and set them aside.
Then, a stranger thing happened. An idea for a new business popped into my head. The magical light bulb switched on. I wasn’t looking for a new idea. It seemed to create itself. My mind raced through various ways to make this business real. The less I thought about it, the faster and quicker ideas and scenarios developed. I wrote everything down and a semblance of a business plan began to develop. Nothing concrete, only tasks and research to be commenced. It was the equivalent of doing a mind dump, no idea was irrelevant. About an hour later, the ideas stopped and so did I.
Just as quickly as it started, it stopped. As my brain started to reengage, I realized the experience would make pretty good post.
- Jay Pucci on Why you need to goof off!
- 5 Reasons to Consider Purchasing a Franchise on Buying a Franchise? Here’s Something to Think About!
- 5 Things Great Bosses Do All the Time on 5 Easy Ways to De-motivate Your Staff
- 2012’s List of 10 Bungled Business Phrases to Banish – Part II on Banish These 10 Business Phrases Forever!!
- 2012’s List of 10 Bungled Business Phrases to Banish – Part I on Banish These 10 Bungled Business Words and Phrases